PAZARYERİ IN THE BYZANTINE PERIOD
In the Byzantine period, Pazaryeri was a settlement named "Armeno Kastron" in the "Bithynia Themakion" region. The name means "Armenian Castle". But Armenians did not live in this region. It is the "Country of the Suntan" in the language spoken by the people of "Luvi" who lived between 3000 and 2000. The Byzantines gave this name because they built communication and watch towers in the passage areas of these mountains.
PAZARYERİ IN OTTOMAN
After the Kayı tribe settled in Söğüt, the shortest route to the Domaniç plateau, which was given to Ertuğrul Gazi as a plateau, was passing through Pazaryeri. After establishing the Ottoman state, Osman Bey turned to the west in order to reach and conquer Inegol and fertile plains. He used the road that passes around today's Pazaryeri, called "Armenian Derbendi". This name is supposed to come from the name "Ermenek" given by the Ottomans on Mount Ahı. After Osman Bey conquered these places, III. He gave his marketplace and transfer to Yahşi Pazarlu, his son, to settle and manage. Yahşi Pazarlu changed the name of this region to the name "Pazarlucuk" which bears its name. This name has turned into "Pazarcık" over time. European travelers traveled through Anatolia during the Ottoman period, as they were on important trade and military routes. The famous Austrian traveler Hans Dernswam passed through the Marketplace during his trip to Anatolia between 1553-1555. He explains them as follows: "... There is a masjid in Pazargik. There are only Turks sitting there. There is no Rum. We have seen a large caravanserai on the right side. There are 12 oak poles in the middle part of the caravanserai. These poles are placed on stones. They carry the whole building. I counted 20 chimneys. The caravanserai is open to everyone. It can accommodate 150-200 horses ... Pazargik (Pazarcık) is a beautiful place surrounded by mountains on both sides. By the way, grapes do not grow. ''
PAZARYERİ IN THE STRUGGLE AGAINST
During the War of Independence, Pazaryeri was under Greek occupation three times and destroyed. On 5 September 1922, Pazaryeri was saved from enemy occupation as a result of tough struggles and bloody battles. In our history, like Bilecik, which hosted the establishment of the Ottoman State and where great historical developments were experienced in the struggle for liberation, Pazaryeri district also played an important role in the struggle for liberation and played an important role in many stages of the liberation struggle both in transportation and other issues.
The marketplace was a sub-district of Hüdavendigar (Bursa) livelihood (province) until the late 19th century. In 1852 (H.1301) under the name Pazarcık, Ertuğrul (Bilecik) livah became a sub-district center. Pazarcık became a district center in 1953 under the name Pazaryeri. The population of Pazaryeri increased with the immigration of Rumeli from the Caucasus and the Yoruks.
NAME OF THE PAZARYERİ
Pazaryeri, Bilecik Bozüyük and the district of Bursa is a cute district located right in the middle of the İnegöl triangle. Pazaryeri, named after Yahşi Pazarlı, the son of Osman Gazi, the founder of the Ottoman State, is a rare and special land where the people of the Pazaryeri fought in total in the war of liberation as well as its establishment. The history of the Pazaryeri dates back to very old times. Called "Bithynia" in ancient times, today it was located in the south-western part of the region covering the territory of Bursa, Bilecik and Kocaeli. During the Roman period, the Roman road coming from Anatolia to Bursa went through the Marketplace. The places where this road passes are still known by local people as "Baghdad Road" or "Silk Road".